To support you on your fertility journey, I have gathered my Top 5 resources to improve your chances of IVF success. When you are preparing for an IVF cycle, it can sometimes feel like your body is a bit out of your control. You want your time, energy and investment to result in a healthy pregnancy, but it seems like most of the decisions are in the doctor’s hands. However, there are still things you can do to improve the odds.
This is the time to invest in your well-being and prepare your body to be a vessel for new life. If simple things like having acupuncture on the day of embryo transfer can increase IVF pregnancy rates from 26% to 42% (as was indicated in one study), imagine how much a combination of eating well, stretching and mentally preparing for IVF could make a difference! The clients I have worked with who have done some or all of these thing have had the best results. These 5 things help improve your response to the medications, build a healthy endometrial lining and increase your receptivity to the developing embryo.
- Optimize your diet and supplements - You can eat your way to better fertility! Print a copy of the Acubalance Fertility Diet handbook to keep in your kitchen. It’s full of tips, yummy recipes and supplement suggestions. And book an appointment to see Naturopathic Doctor Mahalia Freed at Lifecycles Wellness to make sure the supplements you are taking are right for you.
- Move, stretch, massage and open – Getting exercise helps to move your energy around so it doesn’t get stuck, which is prone to happening with the tension of the early morning clinic visits and pressure of the cycle.
In Toronto, see Amy Sedgwick at Red Tent Sisters for Maya Abdominal Massage in the first half of your cycle. Spend 30 minutes a day doing a yoga for fertility DVD. Or join a fertility yoga class with Bebo Mia.
- Give your feelings some space – It’s common to feel a little sensitive during this process! The people around you will likely have well intentioned advice about staying positive, which can backfire and set you up for feeling guilty for all of the anxieties and negative feelings you may be having.
Reserve some time to get all of these feelings out of your system. If you hold them in, even unconsciously, they can block up your system and leave you feeling drained and crabby. Blogging or journalling are a couple of great ways to keep it flowing. Or tell your story in writing with Firefly.
- See it happening - Visualize each step as it is happening, your healthy eggs growing in the follicles, nourished by ample blood flow and wonderful nutrition. Your lining thickening with rich blood, becoming lush and receptive. The moment you share the positive result with your loved ones. Download a free Meditation for Fertility from Anji and listen to it when you are feeling overwhelmed and alone.
- Get some Acupuncture – Acupuncture has been extensively studied for the beneficial effects is has in supporting IVF. Studies show acupuncture before and after embryo transfer can increase the success rate of in vitro fertilization (IVF) to 42%, compared with 26% in the control group. Women who had acupuncture often report feeling less anxious, more relaxed and at peace during their IVF cycle. Optimal care for IVF clients includes at least 8 acupuncture sessions before your egg retrieval. Contact Dr. Tanya Smith to book your sessions.